things girls do that I love:
- offer their friends sips of their coffee drinks without being asked
- scratch each others back
- say things like “smell this lotion I bought this weekend”
- compliment each other’s eyebrows
- that thing when they agree with you and their eyes get really wide and they nod their head solemnly
- throw out each others gum wrappers or chip bags when they get up
DIY Meat Man by Kim Atkinson Fiorini on FB for The Walking Dead Premier. Second photo down by Karen James. The face was made out of meatloaf with onions and bacon.
kzshyia ha dicho: What can you say about the Law of Attraction? Thanks!
I’m ambivalent about the Law of Attraction. On one level, it certainly works. It has brought people amazing instances of healing and wholeness. On another level, it’s like the materialistic philosophy is hijacking spiritual intent.
So firstly I’d just say that the essence of spirituality, which is recognizing and then fully inhabiting the basic timeless, spaceless, eternal nature of reality, has nothing to do with getting what you want on the level of physical experience.
Your body will die. All of your possessions will be scattered to the wind. Everyone and everything you have ever loved will be claimed by time’s ceaseless escapade.
Therefore while health, achievements, and love’s various forms are significant and appreciable things, they are still part of the endless cycle of Things.
The spiritual way is not about escaping or changing that cycle but rather knowing it for the flash of lightning in the dark of night that it is.
Secondly, the Law of Attraction isn’t entirely dismissible. It has nothing to do with the idea of opposites or matches being more attractive to each other. In the sciences like Chemistry, you come across sayings such as “like dissolves like” and so on. There is a meaning to it.
How do you know if something will dissolve in a particular liquid? For example, water is known as a universal solvent. Why? Not only because water can act as a base or an acid but also because it is a polar substance that can therefore dissolve other polar substances.
Whereas ethane, for another example, is non-polar. Many organic molecules are non-polar and so ethane is good for dissolving non-polar substances. Furthermore, when two large complex molecules that have polar and non polar sites associate with one another, the polar prefer the polar sites and the non-polar prefer the non-polar.
It doesn’t matter that polar involves both positive and negative charges.
What does this mean in the sense when you hear New Age aficionados talk about the Law of Attraction?
The Law of Attraction is not simply closing your eyes and wishing really hard for something every day. It’s that when you change and reorient your inner world so thoroughly that you could almost call it a transformation, the outer world often reorganizes itself in accordance.
Take an example of someone trying to lose weight. Let’s look at three approaches.
1. A person uses an idea of the Law of Attraction. They post up pictures of skinny people all over their room. They think and pray about losing weight in mornings and evenings. They have a “wish” board of affirmations and images and whatnot. And they perhaps started going for walks daily and eating a bit better.
2. A person uses daily exercise, educated dieting, active forms of play such as sports, and other typical means of getting fit.
3. A person does both. They start with a small exercise daily. They buy gym, sport, and exercise clothes that make them feel already stronger and leaner. They stop judging themselves by how other people look or how much stronger other people seem. Instead they start using their whole approach toward losing weight as a means to already feel better about who they are. They discover different and healthier foods that bring new flavors and appreciations into their life. They are grateful for feeling muscle soreness in the morning. They are grateful for being tired when laying down for bed at night.
That is the real Attraction, if you ask me. You become your goal from the first moment you resolve that goal. Then you set about actualizing it. It’s not about attaining a number, losing a set number of pounds. But altering your lifestyle and way of being such that a healthier body is an inevitable product.
The Law of Attraction is not a law by any means. If it were, then it would be perfect and always work. Like gravity. It isn’t and it doesn’t. The Law of Attraction is just the art of Intent, prepackaged and marketed for a consumerist and materialistic society.
It can be summed up by this deceptively simple aphorism: Change the worlds within you and the world around you changes.